Camp Volunteer’s FAQ
Frequently Asked Questions Include: What do I need to bring? When do I bring my money and how do I pay? Can I bring my phone? What training do I need?
Support: Needs to be done online at www.mpaustin.org/mp-dev-site/give to Nikos Camping Ministry and YOUR name listed in the comments. If you are receiving checks they need to be made to Mission: Possible! Austin in the memo write Nikos-YOUR NAME. Bring the checks to camp.
Medication: Any medication sent to camp HAS TO BE IN ITS ORIGINAL CONTAINER. This is a legal requirement and will be enforced. Medication is collected by the camp nurse and distributed at camp. All prescribed medication will be counted and verified by the camp nurse upon check-in.
Lost and Found: Mission: Possible! Austin is NOT responsible for lost items. If you lose an item at camp you can contact Mission: Possible! Austin staff to see if the items were brought back. If you drive to camp please lock your doors.
Phones & Electronic Devices: Volunteers may use their phones at camp before and after kids arrive, during break times, and in special circumstances granted by MP Staff. Life is full of distractions, and because we are at camp we will collect phones and electronic devices. You WILL have access to it throughout the camp (Unless at HEB Camp-no cell reception). Parents can contact the Camp Dirctor Jon Rector at 512-553-9491.
Camp Locations: Mission: Possible! Austin hosts a variety of camps. Here are some of the following annual camps:
- Spring and Summer Camp Nikos is held at Twin Oaks Ranch, 100 Marks Overlook, Buda, TX 78610. Office Phone: (512) 402-2252. http://www.twinoranch.com/
- H-E-B Leadership Camp is held at the H.E. Butt Foundation at campsite “Windsong”. H E B Camp Rd, Leakey, TX 78873. The Main office is located at 719 Earl Garrett St, Kerrville, TX 78028. Phone: (830) 315-9200. http://hebff.org/
- Fall Youth Retreat is held at the Seaside Church Retreat Center 16534 San Luis Pass Rd, Galveston, TX. Phone: (409) 737-2605. http://seasideacademy.org/church/retreat-center/
Lice: Lice is often times a issue in low-income communities. The reality is we will always have to battle this. We suggest people with long hair to wear it up. Please do not share hats, pillows, blankets, etc. We also recommend pretreat your hair if you get lice easy and/or bring teatree oil. We do screenings and treatments as needed, but if the lice is bad we will send people home from camp.
Training: Mission: Possible! Austin has some mandatory training for ALL camp volunteers and staff. We require all volunteers sign the volunteer liability & medical release form, complete MinistrySafe Sexual Abuse Awareness Training (https://ministrysafe.com/), and sign our Statement of Faith and Unity. If you are 18+ you must undergo a background check. ALL of these will be given to you by MP Staff. Any questions please contact Jon Rector at Jon@mpaustin.org.
Common Packing List for Camps:
PLEASE PUT YOUR NAME IN/ON EVERYTHING
Your personal hygiene items and needs – If you wet the bed, bring pull-ups or extra bedding.
* Deodorant/lotion etc.
* Closed toed shoes!
* Shorts, jeans, long pants, 6-7 pairs
* Shirts, 6-7 short sleeve and 1 long sleeve (if mosquitoes are bad)
* A jacket or sweatshirt for layering if it gets rainy.
* Swimsuit (summer camps & fall retreat)
*1 Towel for pool (Please use different towel for creek/pool and showers)
* 2 towels for showers
* Pillow, a sleeping bag, sheets
* Bible (Let us know if you do not have your own Bible.)
* Bug spray
NO KNIVES OR SHARP DEVICES, Firearms, Weapons, Drugs, Alcohol, Electronic Devices, pornography, ETC. These items, if brought to camp, will be collected and returned to the child at the time of drop off. If caught with these items, appropriate authorities, parents, etc. may be notified and your child will be sent home from camp.